Saturday, October 23, 2010

Merry Conference Eve!

FiO starts tomorrow! And, like every year, it's Saturday night and I'm still fighting the good fight against Powerpoint...

Tomorrow hundreds of you will be flying into ROC, trying to explain to the person sitting next to you on the plane that, yes, you are on your way to an optics conference, but no, you cannot fix their contact lens prescription (although these authors can!). To avoid this, I am driving down from Toronto, where I am spending the weekend, hoping to arrive in time for the 'What's hot in optics' session.

There's a slew of 'extracurricular' activities all week, like receptions and student activities. Sadly, I am not a student anymore, even though I still feel like one (I still chase free pizza) - I wonder if they will be checking ID at the student member reception??

I am particularly excited about the showcase of educational demos, because I LOVE optics demos - just ask my friends/family. A few are on my website. My favourite* is the disappearing diamond video, although recently I have been taking a lot of footage of iPhone aliasing. I also made all the plots and diagrams of one of my group meeting presentations last year in stereo 3D with colored glasses, which led to my roommate buying me this hilarious tshirt:


Anyways, I wish everyone a safe trip, and see you tomorrow in Rochester!


* I am in Canada right now, so yes, FAVOURITE has a 'u'

No comments:

Post a Comment