Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday

Wow, the plenary sessions this morning were impressive! Such mind-boggling things that can be done with light, and every talk was accessible to amateurs, so I actually learned something. The most important thing I learned was that, to quote Prof. Aspect, "the Fourier transform of a cigar is a pancake". And who knew you could do such crazy yet useful things with optical traps? Later in the day, I listened to some talks about retinal imaging, and went to part of the Nonlinear Imaging session, which was bursting out the door with people.

I am giving a talk tomorrow on phase imaging with very noisy data sets, using control theory estimators. This project was a great collaborative work for me - I was chatting with a postdoc who does quantum optics at MIT, who happens to be my academic uncle (advisee of my advisor's advisor), and he came up with the idea, then we enlisted help from my roomate and good friend, who happens to do control theory for a living, and in the process I think we all learned a lot about each other's respective fields. Plus, how cool is it to publish a paper with your roommate?

No comments:

Post a Comment